Friday, 26 August 2011

Colonial workshop

Here's a little building I've been working on made from a couple of HO scale sheds. It's going to represent a small colonial workshop, maybe a bot repair shop.



The brown shed is by Peco and the paler is a kit from Wills. I cut a larger opening in the Peco shed with a dremel and made an open roller shutter to put above this. On the inside a workbench was added for a bit of detailing.




Thursday, 18 August 2011

Industrial bins

These are a couple of hornby HO scale bins I re-painted to look a bit more used. Before painting them I added some random bits of green stuff around the bins to make it look like bits of rubbish stuck to them.

The original paintjobs on the bins.


Sunday, 14 August 2011

A-line HO containers




Ordered these HO scale containers by A-line a week or so ago from US and they arrived yesterday.  Really happy with them, seem a perfect size for 15mm. Should look great painted up battered and rusty.

The containers were rattling when I got them and I discovered the bottom popped off and there was a sprue of bits inside.I know where the long straight bits go on the doors but no idea about the other parts, probably leave those off.



Saturday, 13 August 2011

Hotwheels h2go landspeeder



A few years back I picked up this hotwheels model. Even though it's a speedboat with a massive petrol engine I always thought it'd make a cool sci-fi landspeeder. Considering it's a toy that cost just over a pound there are some nice details on the model.


In order to paint some of the parts it's worth breaking the model apart by drilling out the two rivet heads on the underside of the model.  I find it best to do this by hand with a 15/20mm drill bit.


Once the rivet caps are off the model can be broken apart. Took the wheels off and put them in the bits box.


At this stage I went over the two body halves with a fine wet and dry paper to give the primer something to key too. Then all the bits were cleaned and primed grey.

Going for a two tone paint job I settled on a Turquiose and off-white for the body and interior, with the seats and steering wheel a leather brown. Engine would be drybrushed metallic silver. Here's a pic with some of  the base colour applied. Looked a bit clean at this stage...


Once all the basic painting was done it was dirtied up by smearing some washes of black and leather brown to some areas of the model, particularly the underside and the rear near the engines, then some areas were scraped away to show some of the original red paint.



The model re-assembled prior to varnishing.  Once it's all varnished and glued I'll probably use 3 bits of brass rod under the body to raise it off the ground slightly for an anti-grav effect. I'm pretty pleased with how the scrapes look where the original red colour is showing through.